Sunday, January 9, 2011

1 week down - 25 to go to the Gold Coast Marathon

I am on my way to completing the Gold Coast Marathon in July!

I have been off the couch for a week and in this time I have purchased my running shorts, singlet, shoes and socks, I have put together a draft training program for the next three months which takes me to the finish line of the Canberra half marathon as part of the Canberra Marathon to be held in April,  I have given up coffee and alcohol and most importantly I have completed three training runs including the 40min run this morning on beautiful Mount Ainslie here in Canberra Australia.

For anyone out there who thinks they could never complete a marathon, think again!

I have been on the couch for over a year with little or no exercise except for the odd gym visit and swim. My fitness has dropped right down to zero so every run I go on is like the first run.

Every run I go on I feel the exhaustion after only a few steps out the front door, my legs ache after every run and I feel stiff the next day, but with only three runs I can feel my body getting stronger, I can feel my lungs filling with fresh air and my body and mind thanks me. Each run I go on I run further and walk less. I know I can make it to the finish line and I know you can too. Whatever goals you have in your life, as long as they are realistic and you put in the work you can get there. If you goal is to complete a marathon get off the couch and start running!

So what have I actually completed this week?

The first three months is all about getting off the couch and doing something, whether that is swimming, gyming or running it is about exercising the heart and lungs and building endurance that will set a solid base for the following three months of training which takes you to the finish line of the Gold Coast marathon.

I have chosen running as a building block for endurance over the first tree months, so this week I have completed a 20min run/walk and 30min run/walk and a 40min run/walk. As weak as that sounds at this stage that is all that I am capable of. A far cry from my days of smashing out a half marathon, 21kms, as a warm up run to start the day! But, I am getting fitter with each run.

So what is the plan for the next three months?

I call the first three months Stage One and it is all about building up an endurance base. The endurance base is built up over the three months by slowly increasing the time/distance of each run and then increasing the speed/intensity of each run. Never increase speed and distance at the same time as this only leads to injury!

Week one I have set small goals, 20mins, 30min and 40mins. Each one has been an out and back course from my house towards Mt Ainslie and back. Each run has included walking as my fitness does not allow me to run the whole way just yet, again this is okay because we are building a base and the slower you go the longer you can run in the future.

Week two I will be running the same times 20min, 30mins and 40mins but I will be increasing the speed/intensity of the runs and hopefully running the whole way for each run. The program will continue this way for the first three months culminating with the Canberra Half Marathon 21.1kms. There will also be a recovery week every four weeks to give the body and mind time to recover fully before moving on.

I have included the draft training schedule below, you are free to use this but realise that everyone is different and this style of training may not suit you at this point in time. Note: there is little time allocated to recovery because the aim is to build endurance and a solid base, however at any stage if you feel or I feel too tired to train or my study or work is suffering I will take a break. One of the main goals is to get to the start line of the Canberra Half and the the Gold Coast Marathon uninjured and adequate recovery is essential to achieve this, so when in doubt stop running and walk or take the day or week off it will do you well in the long run...literally :-)

Training program - Stage 1
First three months
With the focus of increasing mileage and building a solid endurance base
MonthWeekMonWedSunTraining focus
JanuaryWeek 1203040increase distance
Week 2203040increase intensity/speed
Week 3304050increase distance
Week 4304050increase intensity/speed
FebruaryWeek 5203040recovery
Week 640501hrincrease distance
Week 740501hrincrease intensity/speed
Week 8501hr1hr10minincrease distance
MarchWeek 9501hr1hr10minincrease intensity/speed
Week 1040501hrrecovery
Week 111hr1hr10min1hr20minincrease distance
Week 121hr1hr10min1hr20minincrease intensity/speed
AprilWeek 131hr10min1hr20min1hr30minsincrease distance
Half marathonWeek 144040Halfrace week



So that's the next three months and and my achievements over the last week, hope you are having a great 2011 and that you enjoyed reading the blog.

1 week down 25 to go to the Gold Coast Marathon http://www.goldcoastmarathon.com.au/

Best regards,
Simon.

No comments:

Post a Comment