Saturday, January 1, 2011

The goal of this blog - Gold Coast Marathon 3rd July 2011

Over the last few years I have become busy with starting a business, running the business, then selling the business and taking on a new job plus part time study. All of this has taken the extra energy I used to use to train for triathlons, cycling and running events. The end result has been a weight gain of close to 10 kilos and although I do not feel unhealthy I really notice the difference when I attempt sporting activities or when I go to put of clothes that I would normally fit into.

It is strange when you realise that you are not the fantastically fit person you once were. Granted I was 27 at my peak of fitness when I ran three 10km road races in just over 36mins each and I weighed under 75 kilos. If I attempted the same races again today, six years on and weighing 84 kilos, I would be lucky to break an hour for each race!

This year I am making the move from the couch (which is very comfortable when I have finished dinner and I have a beer in hand watching the TV) to the finish line. The finish line being the Gold Coast Marathon on the 3rd of July 2011. This is going to take a lot of changes to my current lifestyle some of which will be easy some will be much harder.

Now before I ramble on too far I thought it would be a good idea to outline what I hope to achieve from this blog so we both have a general guide on what to expect over the next six months.

The goal of this blog is to:
  • Track my progress for the Gold Coast marathon;
  • Provide in site for non marathon runners into what it takes to run a marathon, including:
    • Training
    • Diet
    • Injury prevention
    • Equipment
    • Final preparation and
    • Running the marathon.
  • To motivate and encourage others to achieve their goals both sport related and non sport related.
The next few days will focus on:
  • Setting a training program, that starts from the 3rd of Jan, including a half marathon in April and culminating with the Gold Coast marathon on the 3rd of July.
  • Buying the right equipment such as running gear, clothes and shoes and
  • Changing eating habits to provide the body with efficient fuels for training and recovery.
As the next six months progresses I aim to be fitter, healthier and focused on what really matters, living life to its fullest not just sitting on the couch!

From the new kid on the blog, Simon.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Simon, nice looking blog you've got here. Looking forward to reading more about your training and how you get on, good luck.

    Check out my blog if you're bored, http://gngplaces.blogspot.com/

    Cheers,
    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Simon,

    Great idea to blog this process. I'm planning to be at the GC marathon too. I'm a first timer so I look forward to seeing how you approach it and to reading your post post-finish line.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete