Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Feeling strong and fast with some hard work still to go!

I had a great week of training this week. Managed to knock out three tough runs and felt great after each one.

The first run of 40mins and the second run of 50mins saw me take on the lower tracks of Mt Ainslie. I worked really hard on each undulation and with my core strength now in line with my overall body strength I was able to run harder and faster than most other weeks.

I have to say I have done absolutely no abdominal or back work since the start of the year but my core strength is solid as a rock and will only get stronger the more I run.  I have been holding on to the theory that your body adapts to the conditions you put it through and to this point it has worked well. My legs are stronger to support my weight, I have lost weight (5kgs yes!) which makes running easier and my core has naturally adapted to the conditions and now keeps my body strong and upright without drooping mid way through a run.

I still have a way to go but it has been fantastic to watch the changes to my body over the last 10weeks of training.

The most impressive run was on Sunday. I needed to set a bench mark for myself and to assess my current abilities, so I choose a 5km loop around the lake to test my speed and endurance over a 60min run.

I ran in the morning straight after eating a piece of toast, a banana and a couple of glasses of water. I reach the starting point at 10am and was off. I felt good, almost too good, finding my body and lungs wanted to sprint away in the first few hundred meters so I made a determined effort to slow down knowing I would need the energy as the time and distanced passed by.

The first loop felt great and I finished the 5kms in just under 25mins! On track for 5min kms. The second loop I felt tired but kept the pace up and after passing the dragon boat races by the lake edge for the second time I finished the second loop in 50mins flat! Feeling good I kept going for another five minutes before turning around and finishing the 60min run totally exhausted but on top of the world.

My next challenge will be to build up enough kms in the next few weeks to make it through 21.1kms for the Canberra Half Marathon. I am keen to try and complete it in 5min kms or 1hr 45mins but that will be a big ask. Wish me luck J

PS: found out I am behind my running times by 10mins, need to boost it up in the coming weeks, ouch!

No comments:

Post a Comment