Wednesday, March 16, 2011

An interview with Michelle Wu - current Australian Champion!

This week is the long awaited interview with Michelle Wu, Elite Triathlete and current Australian Long Course Champion. Michelle might not run marathons (yet) but in each of her half ironman triathlons she endures a swim, a bike ride and then completes the race with a half marathon! Below is an online interview with Michelle after her recent win at the Australian Long Distance Championships held in Huskisson NSW. Hope you enjoy the read :-)


Simon: Hi Michelle, how are you?
Michelle: Hi Simon, thank you for asking me to be part of your blog! It's great to see you have a goal this year of running the Gold Coast Airport Marathon!

Simon:  Thanks Michelle, I am really enjoying the challenge or training for a long distance event. How about you, how has your summer triathlon season panned out?
Michelle: So far really well! I've had a 3rd place at Falls Creek Triathlon in February and just recently won the Australian Long Course Champs in Huskisson, NSW.

Simon:  Australian Long Course Champion! That’s impressive, well done J How long have you been competing in Triathlons?
Michelle: Since 2004 I raced age group until 2009 and have been racing Elite since.

Simon:  Do you have any short term goals over the next 12 months?
Michelle: I will be heading over to the USA from May to October this year, so my focus will be on racing 70.3 and Half IM races over there.
  
Simon: What is the most enduring event you have competed in?
Michelle: I train for Half Ironman Triathlons so a 1.9km swim, 90k ride, and a 21.1km run. This is far enough for me! I don't have any plans to go longer or do a full Ironman.

Simon:  How did you train for this event?
Michelle: Lots of swim, bike and run! My run has always been my best part of triathlon, so I tend to work a bit more on the swim and bike.

Simon:  What does your average training week consist of?
Michelle: On average, about 5 swims, 4 rides, and 5 or 6 runs.

Simon:  How do you recover from a big training sessions?
Michelle: FOOD!!! And LOTS of it!! But keep it healthy! I can't go past my cereal and toast for breakfast after a tough morning; I also wear my Skins compression tights (to increase circulation and speed up the recovery process).

Simon:  What are your top five tips for training for endurance events?
Michelle:
1. BE PATIENT!!!! Easier said than done!
2. Rest and Recovery is key!! Training is great, but it's the rest and recovery that actually gets you faster!
3. EAT!! Make sure you eat enough to fuel the training! Before, during and after.
4. Regular massages are part of my program. I love a good rub. It makes me feel so relaxed and refreshed.
5. HAVE FUN AND SMILE!!! There's no point in doing it all unless you're enjoying it!

Simon:  Do you have any words of encouragement for all the endurance athletes out there?
Michelle: Endurance training is tough. I question myself all the time to why I do it! But keep an eye on your goal and the bigger picture. The road it rough and uphill, but once at the top, the view is amazing.

Simon: Do you have any sponsors you would like to shamelessly plug?
Michelle: I have lots of sponsors that support me and allow me to race to my potential! Felt bicycles, Saucony run shoes, 2xu wetsuits and tri suits, Hammer Nutrition fuel, Ryders Eyewear for sun glasses, Skins compression garments, TLC cycles to service and fix any bike issues and of course work, IP Australia!

Simon: Thank you for your time and your thoughts on training for endurance events. Would you like to share some thoughts on preparing for the main event closer to the Gold Coast Airport Marathon?
Michelle: Hopefully by now, you are all well on your way and establishing a nice weekly program and routine. Closer to the event you will probably back things off and taper your training so that you are fresh and ready to fire on the start line! Stay relaxed during the taper! Don't go out and continue to smash the legs up! Rest up and eat well. Remember all the hard work is done and on race week, there's nothing you can do to get fitter or faster! Keep the fluids up leading into the race as Gold Coast is definitely always humid and hot! Be confident in your preparation! Stick to your race plan, and try not to get caught up in the hype and excitement pre race. Above all have FUN!!!! :)

Simon: All the best for the rest of the year :-)
Michelle: Same to you and to all the readers, cheers! Shell :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Simon, excellent interview. Lots for us 'would be' marathoners to take out of this. Mal

    ReplyDelete